What are three girls in Paris, lodging out in the sticks near the Gare du Nord, to do for dinner when they realize they are starving at 8pm on a Sunday night?
When we found ourselves in this position we had several big issues to work out-
- we were poor and didn’t want to spend too much money
- we were exhausted and too tired to walk to the subway and then walk to some great cafe again
- we were starving and really wanted to eat right away (due in part to our cost cutting measures of not eating much to save $$$)
- we were in an area of town that had no real food options, especially on a Sunday night (well it really had nothing much to offer…)
- we had an established rule that we would eat no fast food while overseas
How did we solve this big quandary? We went to the French McDonald’s right down the street. The very same McD’s that we had walked past morning and night for the last 6 days, frequently commenting on the poor souls that are in France and eat at McD’s…Yes, we broke our rule and ate at a fast food joint.
And guess what?!
It was better than the American McDonald’s. That is what we told ourselves as we devoured the salad with quartered eggs instead of egg crumbles, and ate the panini . (And in case you didn’t know, since panini is Italian it is much classier than the plain old bread of the USA.)